- It has amazing orange gold flowers that really stand out.
- Blooms last quite a long time.
- It’s a perennial will come back year after year
- Deer don’t eat it, neither do rabbits.
- Hardy to zone 3 it’s a tough plant.
- Butterflies love it
- Native bees like it too
- Humming birds adore the flowers
- Makes a good cut flower
- Grows almost anywhere in full sun provided soil is well drained
- Fairly drought tolerant
- It’s a native plant to North America always good to grow natives
- It needs almost no care once you planted it
- Just plant and leave it alone, does not like to be moved has a large tap root.
- You can eat the shoots like asparagus (make sure you cook them don’t eat the raw)
- It’s also a food source for Monarch butterflies so don’t pick off any caterpillars. Save the Monarchs!
- Sap from this plant is clear and non toxic so it’s safe for children and pets (unlike some other milkweeds)
- The flowers are wonderful (oh yeah, I mentioned that but they are really great!)
18 Reasons to grow BUTTERFLY WEED
Asclepias tuberosa interior